Influenza or flu is a respiratory illness that is spread person to person and is caused by the influenza virus. The best way to protect yourself this flu season is to get vaccinated.
Symptoms of Flu
fever* or feeling feverish/chills
runny or stuffy nose
muscle or body aches
fatigue (very tired)
Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
* not everyone with flu will have a fever
How to "Stop the Spread of Flu"
Take these actions to protect yourself:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you are sick with flu–like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
The best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu shot each year.
Based on your level of insurance, you can obtain vaccine from your physician or find a clinic by clicking here.